-- Walls: I had various sheets of ply for walls, from 7mm to 12mm. I just cut to the sizes I had. I made simple ply doors and removable panels to access other areas of the ceiling. I made a small wall at one side which was open (against an internal beam) to close the space off as much as possible.
-- Flooring: Flooring was 20mm ply (sometimes labelled 'one man panels'). I screwed the flooring down, mainly to stop it moving around (but not excessively so, in case I needed to lift any in future)
-- Insulation: I had already rewired the house, and ensured I kept cabling below the ceiling joists. The existing ceiling had insulfluff which is horrible stuff, but being able to enclose it with the flooring was great. I then insulated the loft ceiling with batts (i.e. top and bottom of the storage loft, as well as its walls were now insulated).
-- Lighting: I spaced out some bulkheads with some cool white LED bulbs. The bulkheads were only about $10 from Bunnings, and they help protect the bulb when I'm moving stuff around up there.
-- Strength: I went over the positioning with a structural engineering friend. There are a few support walls beneath where the panels were laid (due to the age of the house, pretty much all walls are supporting walls), and fixing the new flooring helps distribute the load. We also don't store heavy items up there.
-- Ceiling Bracing: This project was in a 1950s house that has had extensive add-ons since, there was no cross bracing inside this part of the house ceiling. That meant one long open space. In a previous house, I had a space that you could stand up in, but it had lots of cross bracing. I cut flooring for it to fit around the bracing (which wasn't fun).
-- Make Dust Free: I happened to have some large rolls of clear plastic, and this was perfect for covering the insulation and preventing dust (I just stapled it). Dusty loft spaces are awful, but this is a place that is not unpleasant to go into (apart from the knee crawling to get to the far end... but that is usually my job)
-- Treated Ply is Better I'd suggest treated everywhere on the walls if possible. Originally I had a bit of moisture up there. However once I finished and lined everywhere it was fine. A couple of my walls use untreated ply (as that is what I had).
-- Check what size panels you can get up there: I originally thought I might be able to get full 1200x2400 sheets up through the hatch, but no chance... (mainly due to height... and working by myself, manoeuvring them wasn't easy). I cut them lengthwise, so they were 2400x600. This still wan't fun to pull them up.
-- Keep the area sealed as much as you can Temperature is proving very constant all year around, but if I open up and leave any of the hatches (to get into the other ceiling spaces) humidity especially can rise a lot (in winter or if raining). I monitor the temperature and humidity in the space year around.
-- Get a decent loft ladder (see Below for more pics) If you buy a loft ladders, I recommend getting a decent Sellwood one with a good sized opening and strong steps. I used the Sellwood J24 model (was around $500). A handy hint... Bunnings and M10 both sold them at the time, so I used their 15% guaranteed lowest price. I've used those 'metal ladder' types before and they are terrible. We access the space probably once or twice a week, so decent stairs are necessary.
-- Put lots of light up there: You can never have enough lighting up there. Mine are switched on and off with the hatch opening (at our last place the lights often got left on... and also the lights on help when climbing the ladder). Do the lighting first... you will want if for the install.
-- Additional Safety: Make sure you put a smoke detector up there.
Last edited by ZorrUno
Mon, 27 Jun 2022 01:40 UTC [diff]
Mon, 27 Jun 2022 01:40 UTC [diff]